CARRICK RACE Course is proud to be celebrating 170 years of racing this season.
Originally developed on land reserved by the late Sir Thomas Reibey, the original course was located about three and a half kilometres east of Carrick. Finding conditions far too wet in the winter, the Carrick Racing Club soon decided to purchase and develop the present site of the course.
Carrick Racing Club was set up in 1848, holding their first meeting on Boxing Day 1849.
The club folded in 1912 with the assets purchased by the Carrick Hack & Trotting Club. Both forms of racing were conducted for a number of years. When the number of gallopers declined, the club changed once more and became the Carrick Trotting Club.
The Carrick and Westbury Trotting Clubs combined in 1976 to form the Carrick Park Trotting Club, later renamed the Carrick Park Pacing Club.
Over the years, Carrick has been, and remains, the only race course in Tasmania entirely controlled and owned by the club.
To celebrate this milestone, the club will once again stage three race meetings. The first was held on 2nd December. The Meander Valley Cup will be run on 30th December and the Carrick Cup will be run on Saturday, 16th February.